This city from ‘Triângulo Mineiro’ region is well known for organizing a women’s team in 1958, at Araguari Atlético Club. Ney Montes’ initiative came to raise funds for a school. Twenty-five girls formed two teams and played in December, in a crowded stadium. As soon as this news arrived in Belo Horizonte, the team was invited to play at Independência Stadium, the most important city’s stadium. The game of May 10, 1959 was the main attraction of the “6th Party of the Best” (6a Festa dos Melhores), promoted by Diário da Tarde newspaper. They played using shirts from the main clubs: Atlético and América. “To define the spirit of rivalry between the two teams, we decided to give them our shirts in order to symbolize the greatest brand of Minas Gerais tradition: the classic of the crowds”. Diários Associados newspaper, May 8, 1959. More than 20 A rivalry and a novelty attracted more 20 thousand people in the stadium.
Independência Stadium was crowded, full of people to watch the classic game of América Football Club and Atlético Mineiro Club.
Text: Women, disobedience and resilience’s Exhibition (Football Museum)
Copyright: Archive from Estado de Minas Newspaper (1959)